Substance Abuse and Nursing
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper addresses the problem of health care professionals who become addicted to substance abuse and the importance of reporting a nurse suspected of drug misuse immediately.
From the Paper:"Substance abuse is one of the most significant and alarming conditions that plagues our society today. Substance abuse connotes an overuse or misuse of illicit or prescribed drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. Illicit drugs are marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, inhalants, and prescription drugs. In 2006, there were an estimated 20.4 million Americans aged 12 years old and above were current illicit drug users (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA], 2007). This represents 8.3 % of the population that are at least 12 years old. Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance across the population. Marijuana is most commonly used especially among high school students. Among senior high school students, 66% have admitted drinking alcohol during the first 12 months, while 31.5% of high school seniors admit to smoking marijuana (U.S. Department of Justice, 2007)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alexander, D., and O'Quinn-Larson, J. (1990). "When nurses are addicted to drugs: confronting an impaired co-worker." Nursing, 20(8): 54-58.
- Bellack, A. S., Bennett, M. E., Gearon, J. S., Brown, C. H., and Yang, Y. (2006). "A randomized clinical trial of a new behavioral treatment for drug abuse in people with severe and persistent mental illness." Archives of General Psychiatry, 63: 426-432.
- Blair, P. D. (2002). "Report impaired practice - stat." Nursing Management, 33(1): 24-25.
- Chol, S., and Ryan, J. P. (2006). "Completing substance abuse treatment in child welfare: the role of co-occuring problems and primary drug of choice." Child Maltreatment, 11(4): 313-325.
- Dunn, D. (Oct 2005). "Substance abuse among nurses - defining the issue." AORN Journal, 82: 592-596.
Cite this Term Paper:
Substance Abuse and Nursing (2009, January 21) Retrieved October 09, 2015, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/substance-abuse-and-nursing-111443/
"Substance Abuse and Nursing" 21 January 2009. Web. 09 October. 2015. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/substance-abuse-and-nursing-111443/>