$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer explains that salary negotiation is the process of creating a consensus between the job hunter/employee and the employer on how much the latter will pay the former for his/her skills, knowledge and expertise. This process is primarily communication-centered; however, negotiating salary takes more than just simple verbal communication with one's employer in order to be successful. In this paper, salary negotiation is discussed in the context of different scenarios. However, while these scenarios differ in their nature, each discusses one element of salary negotiating skills. The writer concludes that scanning the industry one is in, combined with a thoughtful assessment of one's self as an asset to the company are the important elements that must be taken into account in order to be well-equipped and successful in the salary negotiating process.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Kaptik, L. (2005). "Negotiating strategies for new MBA grads." The Wall Street Journal Online. Available at: http://www.careerjournal.com/salaryhiring/negotiate/20050602-kaptik.html?cjpartner=newsfeed.
- Lublin, J. (2006). "Internet provides the means to check competing salaries." The Wall Street Journal Online. Available at: http://www.careerjournal.com/jobhunting/negotiate/19980928-lublin.html.
- Needleman, S. (2006). "How you can win a better pay package." The Wall Street Journal Online. Available at: http://www.careerjournal.com/salaryhiring/negotiate/20060414-needleman.html?cjpartner=newsfeed.
- Porter, C. (2004). "The dynamics of salary negotiations: effects on applicants' justice perceptions and recruitment decisions." International Journal of Conflict Management, Vol. 5, Issue 3.
- Sims, K. (2006). "Making decisions and negotiating details." CSUSM Web site. Available at: http://www.csusm.edu/careers/handouts/negotiating.htm.
Cite this Term Paper:
Salary Negotiation (2007, May 21) Retrieved November 26, 2014, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/salary-negotiation-95311/
"Salary Negotiation" 21 May 2007. Web. 26 November. 2014. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/salary-negotiation-95311/>