Postmodernism of Resistance and Reaction
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the concept of postmodernism of resistance and postmodernism of reaction. It explores this concept and use examples of art to illustrate what is meant by this contrast. The paper describes and discusses art works by Hans Hofmann, Damien Hirst and Sherrie Levine and shows how these artists portrayed postmodernism of resistance or postmodernism of reaction.
From the Paper:"Instead, I would argue that the art world needed to wait another ten years to see true examples of "postmodernism of resistance" - in the form of artwork such as Damien Hirst's, which embodied what has been termed a "striking analogue for the relationship between aesthetic and lived experience" (Hopkins 228). Here was something that was utterly different, in that it was not merely a reaction against the formalism of Modernism. Instead, it embodied a sweeping paradigm shift, relocating art within the paradigm of installation. In so doing, it resists Modernism to the extent that it even places new demands upon the viewer of art - for example, often she must move. Indeed, her movement may inform the meaning of the artwork - something scarcely contemplated in the formalism of Modernism. Moreover, rather than form following function, function becomes irrelevant."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "After Walker Evans" No. 1. Retrieved from http://www.temple.edu/photo/photographers/spring03/photographers/heatherduffy/levine/levinepics/pages/evans_levinepic.html
- "After Walker Evans" No. 2. Retrieved from http://www.temple.edu/photo/photographers/spring03/photographers/heatherduffy/levine/levinepics/pages/evans_levinepic2.html
- AfterSherrieLevine.com. Retrieved from http://www.aftersherrielevine.com/
- Channel 4. "Against David Hirst." Retrieved from http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/H/hirst/against.html
- Hofmann, Hans. "The Gate." Oil on canvas painting, 1959-60. , 75 x 48.5 inches. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hans_Hofmann%27s_painting_%27The_Gate%27%2C_1959%E2%80%9360.jpg
Cite this Term Paper:
Postmodernism of Resistance and Reaction (2008, July 02) Retrieved December 07, 2016, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/postmodernism-of-resistance-and-reaction-105274/
"Postmodernism of Resistance and Reaction" 02 July 2008. Web. 07 December. 2016. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/postmodernism-of-resistance-and-reaction-105274/>