Palliative Care and Nursing Theory
$39.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper, written in the form of a letter to a young nursing student, addresses the complex and difficult issues of caring for terminally ill patients as a nurse. Various theories of palliative care in nursing are presented, with a special focus on Rosemarie Rizzo Parse's "Human Becoming Theory." The paper, which is told in first person, describes how the writer used Parse's theory when caring for a young cancer patient. The three aspects of Parse's theory are woven into the paper as the author describes caring for her cancer patient on both physical and emotional levels.
From the Paper:"But the nursing theory of Rosemarie Rizzo Parse of "Human Becoming Theory" provides profound aid in helping the patient in such cases deal with the end of their lives, regardless of the patient's circumstances. Parse gives guidance to the nurse and helps the nurse give a sense of meaning to the patient's life. At the time, I was dimly aware of Parse's theory, and knowing what I know now of Parse, I think I translated Parse's core principles in action in acting as an advocate for the patient to receive appropriate palliative care and treatment. I acted as an advocate for the patient with her lawyer, accountant, and ultimately her family. I tried to uphold Parse's ideas that health should be seen in terms of patient empowerment over his or her own treatment, and also Parse's three-part core approach to health treatment."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alligood, M.R. & A. M. Tomey. (Eds) (2006). Nursing theory: Utilization and application. 3rd Edition.
- Best Practice Nursing Guideline. (2008). RNO. Available in full-text November 27, 2008: http://www.rnao.org/Storage/15/934_BPG_Crisis_Supplement.pdf.
- Cody, W. (2008). Parse's human becoming theory. UCC. Retrieved November 27, 2008 at http://www.uncc.edu/wkcody/parse.htm
- Cody, W. (2008). Parse's theory of human becoming: a brief introduction. Human Becoming. http://www.humanbecoming.org/site/theory.html
- Tomey A.M. & Alligood, M.R. (2006). Nursing theorists and their work. 6th edition.
Cite this Term Paper:
Palliative Care and Nursing Theory (2010, October 24) Retrieved July 21, 2017, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/palliative-care-and-nursing-theory-145061/
"Palliative Care and Nursing Theory" 24 October 2010. Web. 21 July. 2017. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/palliative-care-and-nursing-theory-145061/>