$39.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The following paper explores the fascinating and natural wonders of Ohio Caverns, the premier cave system in the state of Ohio, the general geology of the state of Ohio, and a basic overview of cave formation related to the various geological features of a limestone-based cavern system such as found in Ohio Caverns. In addition, this paper briefly examines how Ohio Caverns compare to other cave systems in the world, especially to Carlsbad Caverns in the state of New Mexico.
From the Paper:"The formation of a cavern system is perhaps one of the most amazing aspects of geology, due to the fact that caverns often display formations and features that seemingly defy natural forces like gravity, erosion and the passage of time. Generally, the most common type of cavern system is based on limestone, a "sedimentary rock made up of calcium deposits laid down in the earth's strata over millions of years" and which when placed under extreme pressure turns into marble and related metamorphic rocks (Gilbreath, 145). These types of limestone-based caverns are known as solution caves which are created through the interaction of various gases (i.e., CO2) and water seeping down from above. This combination of CO2 and water creates carbonic acid which then dissolves the limestone and carries with it minerals dissolved into a solution. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Carlsbad Caverns National Park." 2007. Internet. Accessed July 22, 2009 from http://www.carlsbad.caverns.national-park.com/info.htm#geo.
- "Crystal Cave, Put-In-Bay, Ohio." 2009. Internet. Accessed July 22, 2009 from http://www.mineraltown.com/Reports/celestite/giant_celestite_crystals.php?idiom a=2.
- Gilbreath, Alice. Nature's Underground Palaces: Caves and Caverns. New York: David McKay Company, 2000.
- "Ohio Caverns." Official Ohio Caverns Website. 2009. Internet. Accessed July 22, 2009 from http://www.ohiocaverns.com/story.htm.
- Palmer, Arthur N. Cave Geology. Washington, DC: National Speleological Society, 2007.
Cite this Term Paper:
Ohio Caverns (2011, December 21) Retrieved May 18, 2013, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/ohio-caverns-149526/
"Ohio Caverns" 21 December 2011. Web. 18 May. 2013. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/ohio-caverns-149526/>