$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines literature of a peer-reviewed nature supporting effective communication skills in the nursing practice. The paper relates that there are probably no skills that are as critical in nursing as communication skills. The paper reviews a study of negative communication skills of nursing staff and case studies that identify positive interactions in communications between nursing staff and patients. The paper concludes that nurse's communication skills have a great effect on outcomes for patients.
Review of the Literature
Review of the Literature
From the Paper:"In the study of Tfouni, LV; de Carvalho, EC; Scochi, CG (1991) Discourse, institution, power: an analysis of the nurse patient interaction. The work of Tfouni, de Carvalho, and Scochi (1991) was a study conducted for analysis of nurse-patient interaction. The study is composed of approximately 20 dialogues among five nurses and twenty patients in which the 'mechanics of conversation were analyzed. The results of this study showed "an asymmetry in the interaction, a fact that qualifies the nurse-patient interaction as one of control, domination and effacement of individuality. These factors show that ideology of the hospital institution with respect to the patient is characterized by imposition of authority and alienation." (p.1)"
Sample of Sources Used:
- Mendes, IA, Trevizan, MA, Noqueira, MS, Mayashida, M. (2000) Humanistic Approach to Nursing Communication: The Case of hospitalized Adolescent Female. Rev Bras Enferm (2000) Jan-Mar, 53(1):7-13.
- Williams, Carol A. & Gossett, Monette T. (2001) Nursing Communication: Advocacy for the Patient or Physician" Clinical Nursing Research Vol. 10 No. 3 332-340 (2001) Online available at: http://cnr.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/10/3/332.
- Colon-Emeric, Cathleen (2006) Patterns of Medical and Nursing Staff Communication in Nursing Homes: Implications and Insights From Complexity Science. Qualitative Health Research Vol. 16 NO. 2 1713-188 (2006)
- Vaartio, H. et al (2006)Nursing Advocacy: How is it Defined by Patients and Nurses, What does it Involve and How is it Experienced? Scand J Caring Sci 2006 S ept;20(3):282-92.
- Tfouni, LV; de Carvalho, EC; Scochi, CG (1991) Discourse, institution, power: an analysis of the nurse patient interaction Rev Gaucha Enferm 1991 Jan;12(1):20-5.
Cite this Term Paper:
Nurse-Patient Communication (2007, June 25) Retrieved December 12, 2013, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/nurse-patient-communication-96137/
"Nurse-Patient Communication" 25 June 2007. Web. 12 December. 2013. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/nurse-patient-communication-96137/>