Influential Leaders in the Field of Cognitive Psychology
$39.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper looks at cognitive psychology - the discipline that studies internal mental processes such as problem solving, memory, and language. The paper also introduces us to several cognitive psychologists that have put forward their theories over the years.
From the Paper:"Cognitive psychology is a part of psychology that studies internal mental processes such as problem solving, memory, and language. The school of thought that emerged from this approach is known as cognitivism (Wikipedia, 2008). Cognitivism is a theoretical approach in understanding the mind, which contends that mental role can be understood by quantitative, positivist and scientific methods, and that such roles can be described as information processing models (Wikipedia, 2008). One of the first cognitive psychologists, George Armitage Miller is greatly known for devoting his career to the evolution of WordNet, a semantic network for the English language. Some other influential researchers in the field of cognitive psychology are, Lev Vygotsky, Donald Broadbent, Hermann Ebbinghaus, and last but not least, Jean Piaget, who provided a theory of stages/phases that describe children's cognitive development. Cognitive psychologists are interested in how people understand, diagnose, and solve problems, concerning themselves with the mental processes which mediate between stimulus and response. Cognitive psychology is one of the more recent areas of psychological research, having only developed as a separate area within the field since the late 1950s and early 1960s. The cognitive approach was brought to us by Donald Broadbent's book Perception and Communication in 1958."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Dahms, (2008, January 3). The educational theory of Lev Vygotsky. Retrieved August 28, 2008, from www.newfoundations.com/GALLERY/Vygotsky.htm
- Wikipedia, (2008, August 26). Cognitive psychology. Retrieved August 28, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_psychologist
- Wikipedia, (2008, August 23). Cognitivism psychology. Retrieved August 28, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitivism_(psychology)
- Wikipedia, (2008, July 4). Donald Broadbent. Retrieved August 28, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Broadbent
- Wikipedia, (2008, April 18). Forgetting curve. Retrieved August 28, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgetting_curve
Cite this Term Paper:
Influential Leaders in the Field of Cognitive Psychology (2009, March 03) Retrieved April 24, 2014, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/influential-leaders-in-the-field-of-cognitive-psychology-112650/
"Influential Leaders in the Field of Cognitive Psychology" 03 March 2009. Web. 24 April. 2014. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/influential-leaders-in-the-field-of-cognitive-psychology-112650/>