Quantitative and Qualitative Research
$39.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines and compares quantitative and qualitative research techniques. The researcher weighs the relative merits and demerits of each, providing interpretation of the potential applications of qualitative and quantitative research to various fields of study. The paper concludes that researchers will have to decide on their approach, meaning whether they prefer to observe data in a naturalistic manner and derive theory from data, or whether they prefer to test a given hypothesis, to assume a qualitative or quantitative position.
From the Paper:"It is vital when noting the legitimacy of qualitative data that one explore the potential problems associated with the validity of quantitative data. Neither qualitative nor quantitative techniques are free from issues regarding reliability and credibility. It is important that researchers acknowledge the potential for variances even when using experimental methods. At best to provide support for qualitative research, researchers should consider using multiple methods approaches, often referred to as "triangulation" or mixed method approaches, to help confirm the reliability and validity of the research data collected (Benz & Newman, 1998)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Trochim, W.M. (2002). "Qualitative Validity." Research Methods Knowledge Base. Available: http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/qualval.htm
- Benz, C.R. & Newman, I. (1998). "Qualitative-Quantitative research methodology: Exploring the interactive continuum." Carbondale: Southern Illinois Press.
- Denzin, N.K. & Lincoln, Y.S. (eds.) (1984). Handbook of qualitative research. Thousand Oaks, Sage Publications.
- Douglas, J. (1976). Investigative social research. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications.
- Firestone, W. (1987). "Meaning in method: The rhetoric of quantitative and qualitative research." Educational Researcher, 16(1): 16-21.
Cite this Research Paper:
Quantitative and Qualitative Research (2007, February 02) Retrieved March 03, 2015, from http://www.academon.com/research-paper/quantitative-and-qualitative-research-91620/
"Quantitative and Qualitative Research" 02 February 2007. Web. 03 March. 2015. <http://www.academon.com/research-paper/quantitative-and-qualitative-research-91620/>