Obesity in Children
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines issues associated with obesity in children, including its causes and possible prevention. The author suggests that several factors lead to childhood obesity, including a sedentary lifestyle and poor dietary management. Additionally, the paper discusses the dangers of obesity, especially as they relate to adulthood and the conditions obesity may contribute to. The paper concludes with recommendations for avoiding or overcoming childhood obesity.
From the Paper:"Obesity in children is now an epidemic with 16 percent of children facing this problem with 25 percent of blacks and Hispanics children being obese. The child is considered obese when his body mass index reaches above the 95th percentile. The reason we should be considered about rising rate of obesity is because children with obesity have a fairly high rate of becoming overweight or obese adults. Teens who are overweight have a 70 percent chance of carrying this weight into adulthood and the risk goes up to 80 percent for children with one obese parent. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Stedman TL. Stedman's medical dictionary, 26th ed. New York: Houghton Mifflin; 1995.
- Krebs NF, Jacobson MS; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition. Prevention of pediatric overweight and obesity. Pediatrics. 2003 Aug;112(2):424-30.
- U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Obesity and the Environment. April 2005. Available from: http://www-apps.niehs.nih.gov/conferences/drcpt/oe2005/factsheet.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2006.
- Anderson RE, Crespo CJ, Bartlett SJ, Cheskin LJ, Pratt M. Relationship of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level of fatness among children: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA.1998; 279 :938 -942
- Schlicker SA, Borra ST, Regan C. The weight and fitness status of United States children. Nutr Rev 1994;52:11-7.
Cite this Research Paper:
Obesity in Children (2007, July 19) Retrieved May 19, 2013, from http://www.academon.com/research-paper/obesity-in-children-96927/
"Obesity in Children" 19 July 2007. Web. 19 May. 2013. <http://www.academon.com/research-paper/obesity-in-children-96927/>