Izzy and Moe
$49.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper takes a look at Prohibition in the US and focuses on Isadore Einstein and Moe Smith, two prohibition agents that used outlandish tactics to fool those who were breaking the law. It looks at how both Einstein and Smith were two of the hardest working and productive prohibition agents in the beginning of the twentieth century. They began their career in New York City and soon were well known across the Entire United States, if not worldwide. The paper also discusses how many Americans knew Einstein and Smith for their outlandish costumes and for the tricks they played on saloon owners.
From the Paper:"On the first anniversary of Prohibition, January 16th, 1921, Einstein pronounced himself a gas-fitter-around-town. He went into saloons and asked for a wrench of a different kind. On that day alone, he arrested 40 saloonkeepers. These types of raids were common to the duo. If they could outsmart the saloonkeeper, they could arrest him. Unfortunately these raids brought the two unneeded publicity. The newspapers grabbed onto the stories of Izzy and Moe. Lee explains about Einstein that, "To the delighted press, he was 'the man of 1,000 disguises,' 'the mastermind of the federal rum ferrets,' 'the Lon Chaney' of Dry agents.11"
Sample of Sources Used:
- James P Barry. The Noble Experiment. New York: Franklin Watts Inc., 1972. Pp. 1, 18-20.
- Izzy Einstein. Prohibition Agent No. 1. New York: Frederick A Stokes Company, 1932. Pp. 1-258.
- Irving Fisher. Prohibition at It's Worst. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1926. P. 23-25.
- John Kobler. Ardent Spirits. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1973. Pp. 294-300.
- Henry Lee. How Dry We Were: Prohibition Revisited. N. J.: Prentice-Hall Inc., 1963. Pp. 173-179.
Cite this Research Paper:
Izzy and Moe (2007, May 23) Retrieved January 17, 2017, from http://www.academon.com/research-paper/izzy-and-moe-95423/
"Izzy and Moe" 23 May 2007. Web. 17 January. 2017. <http://www.academon.com/research-paper/izzy-and-moe-95423/>