History of Sculpture - Renaissance to Modern Times
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the history of sculpture and its importance as an art form. The paper focuses on sculpture from the Renaissance period to modern times. It discusses different periods of art from the Renaissance period and looks at some of the famous sculptors from those times. The paper then discusses the modern period of art - from 1945 up to the present day.
From the Paper:"Sculpture of today (1945 - present) can be characterized as widespread experimentation. Technology has led to the development of new synthetic materials for the visual arts. So much so that the public has a hard time keeping up with the constant changes in the atmosphere of the art world. There are many types of sculpture mediums, minimalism, constructivism, and environmental art. Environmental art uses its very location as the medium, such as Spiral Jetty by Robert Smithson. Smithson used 6650 tons of earthen material to create a spiral figure in the Great Salt Lake of Utah. Although it is considered environmental art, it still is initially minimalism and also smacks of prehistoric works (Wold, 1996)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Wold, M., Martin, G., Miller, J., Cykler, E. (1996). An Introduction to Music and Art in the Western World. Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.
- History of Sculpture http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?groupid=1346&HistoryID=ab21#1392
- Industrial Revolution in Europe 1750-1914: Arts from World Eras. (c)2005-2006 Thomson Gale, a part of the Thomson Corporation.
- Gontar, Cybele. "Neoclassicism". In Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000-. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/neoc_1/hd_neoc_1.htm (October 2003)
- Eric A. Springstun Information provided by: http://www.springstun.com, www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/arts/scultpurePlastic/SculptureHistory/RomanticSculpture/.../RomanticSculpture.htm
Cite this Research Paper:
History of Sculpture - Renaissance to Modern Times (2009, May 08) Retrieved May 25, 2013, from http://www.academon.com/research-paper/history-of-sculpture-renaissance-to-modern-times-113787/
"History of Sculpture - Renaissance to Modern Times" 08 May 2009. Web. 25 May. 2013. <http://www.academon.com/research-paper/history-of-sculpture-renaissance-to-modern-times-113787/>