Critical Thinking in Nursing
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how today, nurses are no longer relegated to the role of supportive care, but are expected to be actively involved in every stage of the caregiving process by applying reflective and contextual thinking. The paper shows how this growing role of the nurse is integral for achieving the optimum outcome in terms of care delivery.
From the Paper:"Healthcare has changed dramatically over the last decade or so and the changes in healthcare environment have placed new demands on the nurse. Advancements in technology and demands for quality and cost effective healthcare have increased the responsibilities of the nurse. The aging US population and consequently more patients imply the need for more effective resource management. Today's nurses have a new, expanding and vital role to play in the delivery of optimal healthcare. By 2020, it is expected that around 50% of all drugs in the US and Europe would be biopharmaceuticals (genetically engineered) and nursing staff would be in charge of delivering them under varied clinical settings. [Teri Capriotti, 2001] Nurses are expected to have sufficient knowledge of the disease and play a proactive role in the identification, treatment and care giving for patients. Patient acuity has also increased considerably in this age of the internet, and to be efficient, development of critical thinking, reasoning ability and practical implementation of the same are of utmost importance. Critical thinking and its application into the nursing process is thus essential for the nurse to be innovative and efficient in her day to day responsibilities of care giving."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Penny Heaslip, 1993, 'Critical Thinking: To Think Like a Nurse', Thompson Rivers University, Accessed Dec 1st 2008, Available Online at, http://www.criticalthinking.org/resources/HE/ctandnursing.cfm
- Robyn Knapp, 'Nursing Education: The Importance of Critical thinking', Accessed Dec 1st 2008, Available Online at, http://www.articlesbase.com/education-articles/nursing-education-the-importance-of-critical-thinking-552513.html
- Rosalinda Alfaro Lefevre, 2005, 'Applying Nursing Process: A tool for critical Thinking', Published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Elaine Simpson, MSN, RN & Mary Courtney PhD, RN, 'Critical Thinking In Nursing Education: A Literature review', Accessed Dec 1st 2008, Available Online at, http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00000263/01/SIMPSON_CRITICAL_THINKING.PDF
- Teri Capriotti, (Oct 2001), 'Gene Therapy: Pharmaceutical Alteration of the Human Genome' Medsurg Nursing
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Critical Thinking in Nursing (2010, October 24) Retrieved May 25, 2016, from http://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/critical-thinking-in-nursing-145037/
"Critical Thinking in Nursing" 24 October 2010. Web. 25 May. 2016. <http://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/critical-thinking-in-nursing-145037/>