Love and Marriage in Asian and Western Cultures
A comparison of the concepts of love and marriage in Western cultures and Asian cultures and how they have changed over time.
# 117415 | 2,309 words | 5 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Nov 30, 2009 in Asian Studies (East Asian Cultures) , Women Studies (Marriage) , Women Studies (Women and Society) , Child, Youth Issues (Family Issues)
$49.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper compares and contrasts the concept of love between Asian culture and Western culture. It discusses love and marriage in Western culture and how these concepts have changed over time. It also discusses marriage in Western religions. The paper then discusses the concept of marriage in Asian cultures and society and how it has changed over time.
From the Paper:"To put Giddens' ideas regarding the institution of marriage into layman's terms, it can be compared to that of an at-will employer. When a person goes to work for such an organization, they are able to quit without giving any notice and, likewise, the company is able to terminate them at any time. The "pure relationship" works in the same sense. The husband or wife may exit at any time aided by legislature with no-fault divorce. There are many reasons why either one of them would want to terminate the agreement but, for the most part, it is because of a more appealing alternative."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Aycock, Jamie A. "Contracting Out of the Culture Wars: How the Law Should Enforce and Communities of Faith Should Encourage More Enduring Marital Commitments." Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy 30(2006): 231-281.
- Cahill, Lisa S. "Marriage: Developments in Catholic Theology and Ethics." Theological Studies 64(2003): 78-104.
- Giddens, Anthony. (1992) The Transformation of Intimacy. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Hughes, Kate. "The Adult Children of Divorce: Pure Relationships and Family Values?" Journal of Sociology 41(2005): 69-86.
- "Women in China: Past and the Present." Chinese Cultural Studies. n.d.. Brooklyn College of the City University of New York. 17 Nov 2007 <http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/chinwomn.html>.
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Love and Marriage in Asian and Western Cultures (2009, November 30) Retrieved December 06, 2016, from http://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/love-and-marriage-in-asian-and-western-cultures-117415/
"Love and Marriage in Asian and Western Cultures" 30 November 2009. Web. 06 December. 2016. <http://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/love-and-marriage-in-asian-and-western-cultures-117415/>