J.S. Bach and D. Shostakovich
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper compares and contrasts two masterpieces of classical music: "Mass in B Minor" by Johann Sebastian Bach and "Symphony Number Five" by Dimitri Shostakovich. The paper relates that, although both the aforementioned works share the accolades assigned to that of a masterpiece, they represent two very different periods in the history of classical music. As such, following an initial analysis of each piece independently, the author evaluates the historical issues that arise while comparing and contrasting the two works.
From the Paper:"Bach's Mass in B Minor is a traditional baroque work in many respects; however it also represents an example of early classical music. At the time it would have been performed by a small orchestra and SATB chorus. In addition, there would have been far less diversity in the number of varying instruments used compared with today. Orchestras of the mid eighteenth century would have primarily had a fairly strong string section, possibly accompanied by organ, oboes and trumpets. Although much of the work dates back to as early as 1724, it was not completed in its present entirety until 1749, a year before Bach's death. It is difficult to accurately determine whether the B Minor Mass was written with a specific occasion in mind."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bartlett, Roasmund. "Shostakovich in Context." Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2000.
- Blokker, Roy. "The Music of Dimitri Shostakovich: The Symphonies." London: Tantify, 1979.
- Butt, John. "Bach: Mass in B Minor". Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- Hubbard, J Daniel. "Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony: An Artists Response?". Tempo, Vol 176, June 1990; 11.
- Stauffer, George. "Bach: The B Minor Mass". London: Schirmer, 1997.
Cite this Comparison Essay:
J.S. Bach and D. Shostakovich (2008, August 30) Retrieved May 24, 2013, from http://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/j-bach-and-d-shostakovich-107241/
"J.S. Bach and D. Shostakovich" 30 August 2008. Web. 24 May. 2013. <http://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/j-bach-and-d-shostakovich-107241/>