The focus of a comparison paper is to compare things that are alike or different in nature. This type of essay is sometimes referred to as a compare contrast essay or a contrast and comparison essay. Finding a topic for a comparison essay is relatively easy since comparison essays can compare things, facts, events, and people. To write a quality comparison essay, it is important to keep a few basic points in mind. These are outlined below:
Comparison Essay Structure
There are two common comparison essay structures:
- The block format - In the block format, after the introduction, the writer will write a paragraph that describes the first object of comparison and then follow with the next paragraph that describes the second object of comparison. This is also where you point out the differences and similarities between the two objects.
- The point-by-point format - After the introduction, the writer uses a separate paragraph to discuss each similarity or difference between the two items being compared.
- Introduction - for both structures, the introduction should explain what is being compared, summarize briefly the similarities and differences, and present a strong, well-worded thesis statement.
- Citation style - common citation styles used for writing comparison essays are MLA, APA, and Chicago style, but any citation style will do. Whichever style you use, make sure that you are consistent in following the rules. Several online guides for writing different citation styles are available that can help you make sure you properly cite your paper.
General Tips for Writing a Comparison Essay
- Thoroughly research your topic and make sure you have a clear understanding of both things you are trying to compare as well as what exactly you are comparing. Do not try to draw a comparison or contrast two items without the facts to back up the comparison.
- Make it very clear to your readers what you are comparing and continue to draw the comparison throughout your paper.
- Be sure to proofread your paper. When you proofread, pay attention to whether you successfully supported the comparison with ample facts and whether you were subjective in your analysis. Also, make sure you do not repeat your comparisons.
- Locate sample comparison papers that you can look at for essay topic ideas. Once you have a topic, make sure that you maintain a strong focus on the topic throughout your essay.
- Consider the option to buy a comparison essay to use as resource material, as a comparison essay example, and as a potential source for further reading suggestions.
Writing a comparison essay requires an in-depth understanding of both items being compared. It's also important to be clear about the comparison you want to draw. Good organization of your comparison essay and clarity in your writing are, therefore, the key to a quality comparison essay.
Recently published comparison essays
An analysis of the theme of power struggles in two short fiction stories "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner and "Desiree's Baby" by Kate Chopin.# 154050 | 912 words | 0 sources | 2014 |$19.95 Add to cart
An analysis of the theme of dreams in the poem "Harlem" by Langston Hughes and the story "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker.# 154047 | 708 words | 3 sources | 2014 |$19.95 Add to cart
A comparison of Michelango's "The Last Judgement" with Diego Rivera's "Man, Controller of the Universe".# 154036 | 1,497 words | 6 sources | 2012 |$29.95 Add to cart
An analysis of the personality of Penny, a fictional character on the Big Bang Theory show.# 153984 | 2,893 words | 1 source | 2014 |$59.95 Add to cart
Good and Evil in Dostoevsky's "The Demons" and Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita"Comparison EssayA analysis of the contrast in the treatment of the theme of good and evil in Fyodor Dostoevsky's "The Demons" ("The Possessed") and Mikhail Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita".# 153983 | 4,965 words | 14 sources | 2014 |$69.95 Add to cart
A comparison of the governments of the United States and Canada.# 153973 | 1,027 words | 3 sources | 2014 |$29.95 Add to cart
A discussion of Margaret Mead's work among the Samoans and Napoleon Chagnon's work among the Yanomamo of Venezuela.# 153960 | 0 words | 0 sources | 2014 |$9.95 Add to cart
A comparison of the careers of fine art and graphic design. Word count: 1796 Number of sources: 5# 153947 | 1,796 words | 5 sources | 2014 |$39.95 Add to cart
A comparison and contrast of the techniques used to hook the reader's interest in Emma Martin's "Six Grey Arches" and Lawrence Patchett's "A Hesitant Man".# 153935 | 0 words | 0 sources | 2014 |$9.95 Add to cart
A critical analysis of Bettelheim's theory for adolescents' interest in fantasy and the supernatural.# 153934 | 0 words | 0 sources | 2014 |$9.95 Add to cart