Globalization and the Philippines
$59.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer maintains that the Philippines consists of weak, self-serving state institutions that are ill-suited to the task of managing domestic affairs let alone integrating the Filipino economy with the world economy. The writer discusses that, despite repeated efforts to embrace economic and trade liberalization in order to ride the wave of globalization to increased prosperity, the Philippines has only managed to repeatedly demonstrate the inherent problems at the social, institutional, and bureaucratic levels. The writer concludes that this has been the legacy of globalization in the Philippines: distracting concerted development of the country with promises of significant, if fundamentally uncertain, economic wealth.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Austria, Myrna S. "Assessing the Competitiveness of the Philippine IT Indus-try." The Philippines Institute for Development Studies. Jan. 2000. 2 Dec. 2007 <http://dirp4.pids.gov.ph/ris/dps/pidsdps0003.pdf>.
- Austria, Myrna S. "Competitiveness of the Philippine IT Industry: What Lies Ahead." Philippine Institute for Development Studies. Feb. 2000. 2 Dec. 2007 <http://dirp4.pids.gov.ph/ris/pdf/pidspn0002.pdf>.
- Austria, Myrna S. "Liberalization and Regional Integration: The Philippines' Strategy to Global Competitiveness." The Philippines Institute for Devel-opment Studies. Apr. 2001. 2 Dec. 2007 <http://dirp4.pids.gov.ph/ris/dps/pidsdps0109.pdf>.
- Austria, Myrna S. "The Philippines in the Global Trading Environment: Looking Back and the Road Ahead." Philippine Institute for Development Studies. Nov. 2002. 2 Dec. 2007 <http://dirp3.pids.gov.ph/ris/dps/pidsdps0215.pdf>.
- Banlaoi, Rommel C. "Globalization and Nation-Building in the Philippines: State Predicaments in Managing Society in the Midst of Diversity." Chap-ter 16 in Growth & Governance in Asia. Ed. Yoichiro Sato. Honolulu: Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, 2004. 203-214.
Cite this Cause and Effect Essay:
Globalization and the Philippines (2008, December 10) Retrieved February 07, 2016, from http://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/globalization-and-the-philippines-109897/
"Globalization and the Philippines" 10 December 2008. Web. 07 February. 2016. <http://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/globalization-and-the-philippines-109897/>