Mintzberg's Managerial Roles
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper identifies the interviewee, upon which this paper is based, as a ship's engineer, who is a middle-level manager. The author examines the job of the ship engineer by applying the ten universal managerial roles as identified by Henry Mintzberg. These roles are divided into three categories: interpersonal, informational and decisional. The paper defines each of the ten roles using an example from the job of being a ship's engineer.
From the Paper:"In order to better describe the person I interviewed, I will provide specific examples of what technical skills or skills that include knowledge and proficiency in that specific field he needs to have in order to occupy that position: The ship's engineer is required to have a good understanding of the equipment and systems fitted to the ship. This knowledge is used to prioritize the work and minimize the risks of not meeting operational deadlines and getting the ship to sea. All these are based on the importance of the equipment and time required to complete the work."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Allen, Gemmy 1998, Managerial Roles, Online Course Book, Supervision Classes, Mountain View College Viewed December 5, 2007 http://telecollege.dcccd.edu/mgmt1374/book_contents/1overview/managerial_roles/mgrl_roles.htm#ftnt1
- Bashedu 1999, 3.Classification of Managerial Roles, Bashkir State University, Viewed December 5, 2007 http://www.bashedu.ru/konkurs/ibatullina/eng/categor.htm
- Jarvis, Chris 2005, Mintzberg: The Managerial Roles, Business Open Learning Archive, Viewed December 5, 2007: http://www.bola.biz/mintzberg/mintzberg2.html
- Katz, B., David 2000-2002, Litigation Management, Weiner&Katz ,Viewed December 5, 2007:http://www.weinerandkatz.com/Litigation%20Management.html
- Marino, Vincent 2007, 14 Principles of Management, 12 Manage Management Communities, Viewed December 5, 2007: http://www.12manage.com/methods_fayol_14_principles_of_management.html
Cite this Case Study:
Mintzberg's Managerial Roles (2008, July 30) Retrieved November 23, 2014, from http://www.academon.com/case-study/mintzberg-managerial-roles-106293/
"Mintzberg's Managerial Roles" 30 July 2008. Web. 23 November. 2014. <http://www.academon.com/case-study/mintzberg-managerial-roles-106293/>