Analysis of "Culture and the Evolutionary Process"
An analysis of "Culture and the Evolutionary Process" by Robert Boyd and Peter Richerson.
# 95595 | 1,059 words | 5 sources | APA | 2007 |
Published on May 28, 2007 in Anthropology (Scientific / Medical) , Research Designs (General) , Sociology (Theory) , English (Analysis) , Anthropology (Cultural)
$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper ananlyzes the hypotheses presented in Robert Boyd and Peter Richerson's seminal work "Culture and the Evolutionary Process." The reviewer considers assumptions presented in the book which underline the relationship between science and culture in promoting human evolution. The paper also shows links between Boyd and Richardson and earlier research in the field. The reviewer concludes that the discussions and analyses in "Culture and the Evolutionary Process" uncovers explanations and generates further understanding of how humans and human society came about, and continues to develop in the present.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Acerbi, A. (2006). "Cultural transmission between and within generations." Journal of Artificial Societies & Social Stimulation, Vol. 9, Issue 1.
- Blackmore, S. (2006). "Memetics by another name?" Bioscience, Vol. 56, Issue 1.
- Boyd, R. and P. Richerson. (1988). "How Microevolutionary Processes Give Rise to History." In Culture and the Evolutionary Process. In History and Evolution. M. Nitecki (Ed.). NY: University of New York Press.
- Hanson, F. (2005). "Culture against society." Society, Vol. 42, Issue 5.
- Walker, C. E. (2003). "Human aggression: theories, research, and implications for social policy." Journal of Psychiatry & Law, Vol. 31, Issue 3.
Cite this Book Review:
Analysis of "Culture and the Evolutionary Process" (2007, May 28) Retrieved December 18, 2014, from http://www.academon.com/book-review/analysis-of-culture-and-the-evolutionary-process-95595/
"Analysis of "Culture and the Evolutionary Process"" 28 May 2007. Web. 18 December. 2014. <http://www.academon.com/book-review/analysis-of-culture-and-the-evolutionary-process-95595/>