$29.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper gives the author's personal opinion about tattoos and how they are viewed in society. In particular, the paper discusses how those with tattoos are often judged, especially in the workplace and the military. Additionally, the paper cites religious prohibitions against tattoos from a Christian and Muslim perspective. Other religions and cultures which encourage tattooing are explored. The paper concludes by stating that those with tattoos should not be judged, however one should consider the possible issues that getting a tattoo may cause.
From the Paper:"The military was another place tattoos were always seen. Here in Jacksonville, North Carolina, home of Camp Lejeune, we have over twenty tattoo shops. Marines get tattoos to honor their Marine Corp enlisted. These are usually referred to as "moto tats" and are The Marine Corp symbol of the eagle, globe, and anchor. The Marine Corp used to not have many limitations on tattoos but as of January 15, 2010 they may not get tattoos on their head, neck, inside their lips, hands, wrists, or fingers (Gunnery Sgt. Bill Lisbon, 2010). In March of 2007, the Marine Corp banned excessive tattoos covering the Marines arms and legs. I personally think this is an unreasonable rule."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Can an Muslim have a tattoo? (2006, May 16). Retrieved August 22, 2010, from Islamic Times: http://www.islamictimes.co.uk/content/view/27/91/
- Gross, B. (n.d.). Tattoos in the Workplace: What's an employer to do? Retrieved August 22, 2010, from All Business: http://www.allbusiness.com/human-resources/workforce-management-employee/4113152-1.html
- Gunnery Sgt. Bill Lisbon, M. C. (2010, February 4). Corps clears up tattoo policy . Retrieved August 22, 2010, from Marines: The Few. The Proud: http://www.usmc.mil/unit/mcasyuma/Pages/20100204tattoo.aspx
- Rulings of Tattoos in Islam. (2008). Retrieved September 9, 2010, from Muslim Converts: http://www.muslimconverts.com/cosmetics/tattoos.htm
- Satalkar, B. (2010, March 4). African Tattoos. Retrieved September 9, 2010, from Buzzle.com: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/african-tattoos.html
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Tattoos in Society (2010, November 03) Retrieved September 18, 2014, from http://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/tattoos-in-society-145313/
"Tattoos in Society" 03 November 2010. Web. 18 September. 2014. <http://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/tattoos-in-society-145313/>