Same-Sex Marriage - The Debate
$59.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay focuses on the debate on same-sex marriage and the various components of the argument including its religious, ethical and political implications. The essay outlines the constitutional and religious arguments, and then outlines the ethical and political arguments. Overall, the essay finds that same-sex marriage is not a personal matter, but rather a communal matter. Further, the essay argues that a relationship that is politically indecisive and socially unacceptable cannot last and that same-sex marriage threatens the current institution of marriage.
From the Paper:"To attain the constitutional support for gays within the United States, there are three approaches that many of the advocates of the same-sex marriage have taken. These three approaches are: 1) Equality in security which simply means that the gays should have the same privacy policies as any other citizen and should have the same rights and protections under the law; 2) Sexual Discrimination which simply signifies any form of unjust behavior towards an individual based upon their sexual orientation or preferences. This includes any laws and/or activities that discriminate against the gays and lesbians or don't give them equal opportunities; and 3) Basic Human Rights which simply means that the gays and lesbians should be give the same rights and opportunities like any other US citizen without stopping them from enjoying the rights of marriage, property or occupation."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ball, C. The Positive in the Fundamental Right to Marry: Same-Sex Marriage in the Aftermath of Lawrence v. Texas, Minnesota Law Review 88, 2003: 1184-232.
- Ettelbrick, P. L. "Since When is Marriage a Path to Liberation?" Suzanne Sherman (ed.), Lesbian and Gay Marriage: Private Commitments, Public Ceremonies. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1992, 20-26.
- Gerstmann, E. Same-Sex Marriage and the Constitution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Koppelman, A. The Gay Rights Question in Contemporary American Law. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2002.
- Kurtz, S. Beyond Gay Marriage: The Road to Polyamory, The Weekly Standard 8, 2003. Taken from http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/002/938xpsxyasp
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Same-Sex Marriage - The Debate (2010, July 09) Retrieved January 25, 2015, from http://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/same-sex-marriage-the-debate-128284/
"Same-Sex Marriage - The Debate" 09 July 2010. Web. 25 January. 2015. <http://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/same-sex-marriage-the-debate-128284/>