No Child Left Behind
$49.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines problems in the No Child Left Behind Act, which was considered to be one of the most significant attempts at educational reform in recent history. The author considers how the Act affects students, teachers, and communities. Additionally, the author takes the position that No Child Left Behind Behind (NCLB) has had an overall negative effect on the educational movement in America and that there is need for a change in NCLB strategies. The author illustrates these points with several reviews of several publications.
From the Paper:"Meanwhile, the American Federation of Teachers asserts that "flaws in the law are undercutting its original promise" (www.aft.org), and federal guidance for states "has been unclear, untimely and unhelpful." Moreover, the AFT statement on their Web site indicates serious concerns about the "pervasive problem" of under funding; the cornerstone for NCLB is Title 1, and the authorization for Title 1 in 2006 was scheduled to be $22.75 billion (according to the legislation). But President George W. Bush has only put $13.3 billion in his budget request. "This continues a pattern of underfunding for NCLB," AFT explains, adding that the $9 billion left out of Bush's request is "crucial" to more than 1,700 secondary schools."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Federation of Teachers. "NCLB - Let's Get it Right." Retrieved 7 Nov. 2006 from http://www.aft.org/topics/nclb/index.htm.
- American Teacher. "Harvard study cites NCLB implementation flaws." (April 2004) Retrieved 7 Nov. 2006 through http://www.aft.org/pubs-reports/american_teacher/apr04/nclb.html.
- Chavez, Linda. "Teachers' unions resist standards for educators." Courier Post Online. 2006. Retrieved 6 Nov., 2006, from http://www.courierpostonline.com.
- Daly, Brian P., Burke, Robert, hare, Isadora, Mills, Carrie, Owens, Celeste, Moore, Elizabeth, & Weist, Mark D. "Enhancing No Child Left Behind - school mental health connections." Journal of School Health 76.9 (Nov. 2006): p. 446-452.
- Epstein, Keith. "No Bush Left Behind; the President's brother Neil is making hay from school Reform." Business Week (Oct. 16, 2006): p. 48. Retrieved 7 Nov., 2006 through Thompson Gale, Document Number A152704501.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
No Child Left Behind (2007, June 03) Retrieved December 12, 2013, from http://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/no-child-left-behind-95826/
"No Child Left Behind" 03 June 2007. Web. 12 December. 2013. <http://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/no-child-left-behind-95826/>